The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, is a national program that was created during the Obama administration in 2012. The program temporarily postponed the deportation of American children if their parents entered the U.S. illegally.

The DACA program gave permission to work, obtain driver’s licenses, and study to those who arrived in the U.S. before the age of 16. The application for the program could be renewed every two years as long as the individual was enrolled in high school, college, or the military and had a clean criminal record.

What happens now that DACA is set to end?
According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, there are up to 800,000 DACA recipients. What’s more, up to 7% of all K-12 students have at least one parent living unauthorized in the U.S. as of 2012. So what does this mean for those apply for DACA now that the program will be ending?

  1. Your DACA permit is valid until it expires
    First and foremost, it’s essential to know your DACA and work permits are valid until their expiration date. You won’t face deportation until the expiration date of your DACA is passed.
    Check your I-795 Approval Notice to find the expiration date. You may also find the expiration date of your work permit at the bottom of your employment authorization document.
  2. You’re no longer able to renew your DACA
    The deadline to renew one’s DACA was on October 5, 2017. Therefore, you’re no longer able to renew your DACA or work permit if either or both were set to expire as of March 5, 2018. What’s more, no new DACA applications will be accepted.
  3. You’re no longer able to travel abroad with advance parole
    In the past, DACA applicants were able to travel abroad with advance parole. However, this is no longer the case. Those who apply for, and those pending, travel abroad applications won’t be processed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

If you’re a DACA applicant, it may be in your best interest to hire an immigration attorney. Professional immigration lawyers are experienced in immigration law and will be able to help you navigate an uncertain future. Contact the law offices of John Elledge today for legal assistance.