John Elledge & Assoc PC
Questions? Call - 540-217-6086
A bilingual law firm serving Shenandoah Valley and the surrounding areas of Virginia.

Will my ex be required to pay child support?

Under Virginia law, both of a child's parents are required to support them financially. This means that when a court decides the custody of a child, the parent who receives physical custody and the noncustodial parent will both have to pay toward the well-being and needs of their offspring. Noncustodial parents are the ones who generally are bound to child support orders and agreements.

To this end, a noncustodial parent will probably have to pay child support. The Virginia guidelines require courts to look at the incomes of the child's parents as well as the costs that are associated with raising a child in the community where the matter is being resolved. Based on those and other factors, a court will decide how much money a parent should have to pay to help take care of their child.

It is possible for a noncustodial parent to have little to no income. In situations where a parent does not have the capacity to pay, a court may order them to provide very little to their child. However, if a parent improves their financial position and begins to earn more money, a custodial parent may ask a court to modify their child's support order to increase the payments that the noncustodial parent is required to provide.

To get the best possible advice on child support questions, readers are asked to speak directly with their family law legal representatives. This post does not provide any legal advice or guidance and is offered only as information to those who want to learn more about the financial obligations that attach when parents decide to end their relationships.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response
Office Location:

John Elledge & Assoc PC
2 South Main Street, 2nd Floor
Harrisonburg, VA 22802

Phone: 540-217-6086
Harrisonburg Law Office Map

review us